Inspired by Lord of the Rings, George Powell asked artist VC Johnson to work on creating a new dragon graphic in 1980. He suggested designing it in a logo-like oval shape since its intended use was for stickers and t-shirts. The graphic was finalized during the Gold Cup contest series and both Caballero and McGill rocked the graphic on their boards at the Upland Finals. The Oval Dragon was used on a price point series of decks and assemblies and also became the official top graphic for all Powell-Peralta decks until it was replaced in 1987 by the Winged Ripper graphic.
The original, Jessup was the first to bring silicon carbide griptape to the skateboard industry. We’ve been making the best griptape since 1975, that’s over 32 years of experience in making quality griptape. We’ve gripped over 25 million decks. This means we’ve easily gripped more boards than all other griptape companies combined. To date, we’ve made over 70 million feet of griptape, no one else even comes close.
Our five star quality formula is used by more professionals and hardcore skaters than any other tape.
* Our tape sticks tricks! Our grip gives you a stable platform for ultimate control!
* Laminated and Solvent Based Pressure Sensitive Adhesive Layers create rock-solid bonding to all boards in any environment.
* Our “SUPERTOUGH” Silicon Carbide Grip Formula conforms to all deck concaves, is easy to trim out, and won’t tear like other tapes.
* Our Silicon Carbide grit never wears out, and will outlive any grip tape in the world!
* Our superior quality grip tape is available at all authorized dealers. Ask for JESSUP by name!